Discover New Westminster Quay
Spring break is in full swing, the kids are off and the snow has finally stopped, at least we think. It is a great time to take the family and explore what the city has to offer. If you live in New West and have not yet visited the New Westminster Quay, you’re missing out.
New Westminster Quay offers a marketplace with dozens of shops. Here is a list of activities and store you can explore during your visit.
The Samson V Maritime Museum
Come explore Samson V, the wooden steam-powered sternwheel snagpuller of 1937. This historic ship was turned into a museum and showcases much of New West’s history and that of the Fraser River. Opens Saturdays and Sundays, 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Free admission but donations are gratefully accepted.
The quay has a ton of restaurants to eat at. There is a mix of family-friendly places that serve amazing food.
Here are but a few restaurants available:
- The Boathouse: Experience fine Seafood that is famous in the lower mainland.
- Angelina’s: Highly rated, vegetarian-friendly Cafe that is perfect for a sunny day at the quay.
- Re-Up BBQ: Serving BBQ, burgers and southwestern style food.
- Wild Rice: Beautiful fine dining ambiance, serving Asian and Chinese food.
- Longtail Kitchen: Thai food with a twist, riverfront view, perfect for families.
Here are some activities that happen regularly at the Quay.
- 9:00 am: Adult Zumba classes starting at $5 per class.
- 8:00 am: Join Jenn McEwen for some Yoga, classes are drop-in, free or by donation
- 11:00 am – 4:00 pm: Bi-monthly event celebrating the art of making.
- 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm: Aerial silk class, learn how to suspend from the ceiling by soft fabric.
- 10:30 am – 3:00 pm: Pottery work and painting.
- 10:30 am – 2:30 pm: Soap Making class. Drop-ins, $12.50 gets a pound of glycerin soap.
Worth the Visit
New Westminster Quay offers a large selection of shopping, amazing places to eat, and activities to enjoy throughout the year all located by the water overlooking the beauty the west coast can offer. It is worth the visit and is a great local place to hang out. There are plenty of local activities and events that make the place feel lively and fun to be around.